Conor McGregor will not be in Las Vegas next week as expected.
The UFC star’s legal team asked for and was granted a continuance in his Nevada Athletic Commission (NAC) case in relation to the UFC 229 post-fight brawl, sources told MMA Fighting on Tuesday. Therefore, McGregor will not be at the NAC meeting for a disciplinary hearing Monday, nor will his potential sanction be discussed.
It’s unclear at this time when McGregor’s case will be heard. The commission granting a continuance is a regular occurrence, especially in high-profile cases.
McGregor’s status with the NAC is integral to when he’d be able to return to the UFC. He is facing a suspension and fine from the commission.
As of Tuesday, Khabib Nurmagomedov’s disciplinary hearing remains on for Monday. However, sources said Nurmagomedov is unlikely to be in attendance for the meeting in Las Vegas. Sources said a continuance is still possible, as is some kind of settlement agreement, which has become regular protocol for the NAC over the last year plus.
The commission is currently withholding half of Nurmagomedov’s guaranteed $ 2 million purse, pending the completion of his case.
Both the UFC stars are facing sanctions as a result of their roles in the UFC 229 post-fight incident Oct. 6 at T-Mobile Arena. Nurmagomedov climbed out of the Octagon following his fourth-round submission victory over Conor McGregor to attack McGregor’s cornerman Dillon Danis after Danis egged him on.
McGregor, meanwhile, climbed to the top of the cage near where the melee had ignited and was met there by Nurmagomedov’s training partner Abubakar Nurmagomedov. McGregor threw a punch at Abubakar Nurmagomedov and a skirmish inside the cage ensued, with Nurmagomedov’s teammates Zubaira Tukhugov and Esedulla Emiragaev entering. Tukhugov and McGregor exchanged punches, while Emiragaev landed a punch on McGregor from behind.
Danis, Tukhugov and Abubakar Nurmagomedov are all currently suspended by the Nevada commission, pending their own disciplinary hearings.
The NAC has been investigating the incident since it happened in October, including the viewing of footage given to the regulatory body by the UFC.
Last month, McGregor and Nurmagomedov had their temporary suspensions extended until their disciplinary hearings. At that meeting, NAC chairman Anthony Marnell III said he expected both McGregor and Nurmagomedov to be in Las Vegas for their hearings in person.
NAC executive director Bob Bennett declined comment on the cases, saying that the agenda with information about next week’s meeting is expected to be posted on the commission website Tuesday night. A call placed to a McGregor representative was not immediately returned to MMA Fighting.
Full Story Via MMA Fighting – All Posts