Nick Diaz is facing additional charges in his domestic violence case.
At a hearing Tuesday in Las Vegas, prosecutors added two more felony charges to go with the felony and misdemeanor charges Diaz was already faced with, a spokesperson for the Clark County (Nev.) District Attorney’s Office confirmed with MMA Fighting. MMAjunkie was the first to report the news.
The new charges are felony battery constituting domestic violence by strangulation and felony battery domestic violence resulting in substantial bodily harm. Diaz was already charged with domestic battery by strangulation, a felony, and misdemeanor domestic battery. This makes four total charges against him — three felonies and one misdemeanor.
“Due to additional information received, an amended criminal complaint was filed today adding two felony charges,” the district attorney spokesperson said.
Diaz’s attorney Ross Goodman asked for a continuance in the proceedings and the next hearing was set for July 31 at 1 p.m.. Diaz remains free on $ 18,000 bail. At the previous hearing last month, a judge denied the prosecutors’ request to increase bail to $ 100,000.
“We were surprised that the State filed an amended complaint in court this morning given that there is no new evidence that would warrant adding charges,” Goodman said in a statement. “Regardless, we are confident that the truth will come to light vindicating Mr. Diaz after a thorough cross-examination exposing [the alleged victim’s] inconsistent and contradictory allegations.
Diaz was arrested in May on the two initial charges. The alleged victim is accusing him of choking her and slamming her down to the ground by her head at a Las Vegas residence on May 24 after a verbal argument. The alleged victim has admitted to throwing a glass at Diaz’s face, which caused Diaz to retaliate.
The alleged victim also landed on the corner of an outdoor pool during a scuffle with Diaz, resulting in what police described at the time as a possible broken hip. She first told police that Diaz threw her onto the corner of the pool, but then told another officer later that Diaz was going to throw her into the water, but she held on and accidentally landed on the corner.
Diaz, 34, has not fought in the UFC since 2015. UFC president Dana White said recently, before Diaz’s arrest, that the Stockton, Calif., native was considering a comeback in the near future.
Full Story Via MMA Fighting – All Posts