A year after having his savings stolen, Marcos Galvao wants PFL’s million-dollar check

Marcos Galvao discusses the end of his run in Bellator and future with PFL.

Marcos Galvao did not have a good year in 2017, but can end 2018 as a millionaire.

In a run of bad luck, the former Bellator bantamweight champion went 0-2 inside the promotion’s cage last year, had his savings stolen from his New York apartment, then parted ways with Bellator after his contract expired.

Shortly after his run at Bellator ended, Galvao signed with the Professional Fighters League to be a part of the promotion’s inaugural season in 2018, which includes an eight-man million-dollar tournament. But “Loro” first has to earn his spot in the tournament with a matchup against Nazareno Malegarie at Thursday’s PFL 1 card in New York.

”I’m really happy, man,” Galvao told MMA Fighting. “PFL is doing a tournament that will pay the champion a million dollars, and that’s a big incentive. This is my year, this is my time, my time to help my wife, my family, my future. Everything happens in God’s time. 2018 is my year.”

Galvao turns 37 years old later this month, and the possibility of making a million dollars by the end of the year has him excited — especially after having to move to a smaller apartment in Astoria after his money was stolen and New York police were unable to solve the crime.

”Man, it would change everything. Everything, everything,” Galvao said. “Last year was not a good year for me. My money was stolen, I was robbed in my fights, I was released [by Bellator]. But we’re in 2018 now, and I won’t look back. It’s my wife and I now, and this money will help a lot.

”This money is my future, my baby.”

The Brazilian veteran enters his PFL debut coming off a 1-3 run, but that’s now how he sees his own record. Rather, Galvao thinks his Bellator record should stand at 12-2 instead of 8-6. He says that Eduardo Dantas was the only man who truly defeated him over the past eight years in Bellator.

”It’s complicated. The only true losses I had were to ‘Dudu.’ The only guy who beat me was ‘Dudu.’ The rest, I was robbed,” Galvao said. “Emmanuel Sanchez was a tough, tough fight, but I don’t think I lost to Sam Sicilia. I think I dominated the whole fight. It is what it is.”

Galvao competed 14 times inside the Bellator cage, and he’s unhappy with the way things came to an end with the promotion.

”Many athletes think [promoters] love the athletes,” Galvao said. “When you’re winning, they treat you well. But when you lose…

“I was a bit upset, I’m a former champion and moved up in weight and fought the No. 2 in that division (Sanchez), who didn’t even make weight, and he couldn’t do anything do me — and then he ran through Daniel Straus. But I’m happy, I have a bigger opportunity now.”

With Bellator in the past, “Loro” is focused on beating Malegarie and entering into the featherweight tournament. In fact, he believes the winner of his fight against the Argentinian talent is the early favorite to win the whole bracket.

”We’re the toughest ones in the tournament,” Galvao said. “I never had anything easy. If you look at my record, I never had an easy fight. Many people picked opponents in this tournament, but that brings bad luck. I didn’t pick fights.”

Full Story Via MMA Fighting – All Posts

Comments are closed.